Frequently asked questions
Are your candles vegan?
Yes. We ensure that our products are free from animal products and are not tested on animals.
Are your candles and packaging eco-friendly?
Yes. Our candles and packaging are eco friendly, and recyclable. We use cotton wicks which are recyclable and biodegradeable. It Is our mission to source and provide ethical products, a purchase with us is an ethical, secure purchase. Please check your local guidlines for recycling.
What are premium fragrance oils?
Premium fragrance oils are a blend of natural plant based oils, essentials oils, and synthetic compounds. They are free from parabens, animal products and are not tested on animals.
Are your fragrance oils cruelty free?
The fragrances we use are not tested on animals, neither do they contain animal diriviatives of any kind. They are also paraben free. We make sure to source fragrance oils that are ethical. All of our fragrances are IFRA certified, who are working with EPAA (European Partnership on Alternatives to Animal testing), and CAAT (Centre for Alternatives to Animal Testing).
Are your tins/conatiners recyclable?
Our candle containers are a mix of aluminium and tinplate. Tinplate is a coating for steel,
79% of steel in the UK is being recycled, it’s estimated that an astonishing 80% of all metal ever produced is still in use today. Due to the intrinsic value of metal, once made it’s rarely wasted and with good recovery systems in place it’s possible to achieve recycling rates 90%. (Information sourced from https://tinwaredirect.com)
For further information please click the links below.
What sort of packaging do you use to post your candles, and are they recyclable?
We use packaging that is eco-friendly, our Enviro-boxes are in line with WRAP (Waste & Resources Action Programme) who work towards reducing waste, developing sustainable products and using resources in an efficient way. Even the tape we use is eco friendly, our Kraft paper tape is 100% recyclable, and acid free. For smaller orders we use our Green Jiffy bags, Manufactured from paper, they are compostable and are made from approx 65% recycled paper.
Where do you source the botanicals that decorate your candles?
We only source our botanicals from reliable suppliers with an ethical standard and appreciation for sustainable foraging. Whenever possible we pick/ purchase and dry our own botnaicals.
Where do you source your soy wax and is it sustainable?
We at Ahimsa Soy Candles are concerned with making sure that our candles cause as little of an impact on our planet as possible, as such we believe in open honesty about our Soy wax, this is why we source our soy wax from a company called "Supplies For Candles", here is there statement regarding there Kera Soy Wax: "KeraSoy Container blend is biodegradable and vegan friendly. No animal products are used and no animal testing has been carried out in its manufacture"
The company who supplies them with there Kera Soy Wax is called Kerax, and here is there declaration regarding Kera soy wax: "Kerasoy Pillar & Container blends are formulated from materials whose refining history is fully traceable. None of the constituent parts contain or come into contact
with any animal or GMO products at any stage of their manufacture. None of the
constituent parts have been tested on animals by ourselves or on our behalf"
This company, and its distributors, and there products, such as there Kera Soy Wax, are working with EPAA (European Partnership on Alternatives to Animal testing), and CAAT (Centre for Alternatives to Animal Testing).
We at Ahimsa Soy Candles have done our very best in ensuring that our product is as ethical as possible.
Does your Soy Wax contain a mix of Paraffin wax?
No. Our Soy Wax does not contain any Paraffin wax.
How long do your candles burn for?
The total burn time of our candles is approximately 35 - 40 hours. However, we recommend burning your candle for no longer than 3 - 4 hours at a time.
Are your tins re-useable?
Yes. Our tins are re-useable but however any action taken to use our tins in any other way than advertised is the sole responsibility of the person/persons/customer/cutomers who purchased the candle, and thereby they are accountable. We will not be held responsible for any negligence in regards to this matter. For customers who will take this course of action, you will find careful instructions below of how to properly clean your container.
How to clean your candle container properly
This is a basic method and works for candles made of Soy Wax. Please put on gloves before beginning, ideally some you can use for this only,
1. First remove as much of the leftover wax as possible using a sharp knife, careful to not cut yourself.
2. Then carefully remove the wick by pushing a knife, or tool under the metal holder, then simply pull off the the metal holder with the wick.
3. Then, add a small amount of soapy liquid to your container.
4. Next boil your kettle, and once boiled, fill the container with boiling hot water, which will melt any excess Soy Wax. let it sit for 1-2 minute's, or until Soy Wax is visibly, fully melted.
5. Then scrub using a sponge (if possible a reuseable Sonett Eco Sponge), wash sponge after use with washing up liquid (if possible Ecover)
6. Touch the inside of the container, and if you can feel, and see that there is still excess wax, and you can still smell the fragrance oil, please repeat steps 3 through 5 until the smell of the fragrance, and the excess Soy Wax is completeley gone.
7. Please do not use these containers for anything other than Herbs & Spices, or dry items. Wet items may cause the tin to degrade.
Health & Safety information?
Warning and safety information can be found on the bottom of our candle tins, please ensure you carefully read before burning the candle.
1. Always keep a burning candle within sight and do not ever leave a burning candle unattended, do not leave your candle lit while sleeping, do not use it as a night light.
2.. Never place lit candles where they can be knocked over by a child/children or pet/pets.
3.. Do not move a burning candle because the container will be very HOT and you could scold yourself.
4. Soy candles are very sensitive to temperature and light, so be careful when storing them for any extended period of time. Store candles in a cool, dry place away from heat, direct sunlight or fluorescent light. Ambient temperature should not be allowed to exceed 20 to 25ºc or fall below 0ºc.
5. The tins will become hot so always have your candle on a level, HEAT RESISTANT SURFACE, AWAY from loose clothing, curtains, and other.
6. Heat resistant surfaces are not wooden surfaces, plastic surfaces or wicker baskets/bowls, please ensure you place the candle on a surface which is heat resistant. We will not be held responsible for any negligence.
7. Ensure the area is well ventilated but avoid drafts.
8. The soy wax, oils and fragrances may cause irritation if you have allergies to these substances. We will not be held responsible for any allergic reactions that may occur from the handling or burning of our candles and/or their packaging.
9. Be sure to burn your candles within sight. Although we have taken precautions to ensure the botanicals are farthest from the wick, if you notice the botanicals start to smoke or catch the flame ensure you do the following:
A. For safety’s sake, use a candle snuffer when putting out a candle. It’s especially important not to blow down at a candle in a container, such as a tealight, as this increases the risk of flaring and hot wax could spatter up in your face.
B. Another option for extinguishing a small candle flame is to cover it with a large, clear glass, removing the oxygen and thus smothering the flame - the glass must be clear so that you are able to see whether or not the flame has been extinguished. Do not use the container lid to snuff out the flame.
10. Never use water to extinguish candles. The water can cause the hot wax to spatter.
11. Always leave 10CM between burning candles.
12. Put out candles when they have burnt down to about 2cm from their holders. If a candle burns down completely it can cause burn marks or even start a fire, as metal holders/containers can be come extremely hot.
13. For best results when burning for the first time allow wax to melt to the sides of the tin to acheive a full "melt-pool" and avoid "tunneling" and wax wastage. This will allow the botanicals to become fully submerged into the wax. Be sure to trim the wick after each use by snipping off the burned portion of the wick once cool.
14. Never use a knife or sharp object to remove wax drippings from a glass holder.
15. Be very careful if using candles during a power outage.
We encourage you to download the Health & Safety information above as guidelines for your safety when using our products. Click link below.
My candle looks frosty – why?
This is the common term for “polymorphism” and describes the white coating that sometimes appears on soy candles. Frosting is a perfectly natural effect of using soy wax and is unique to vegetable waxes, particularly soy. It is the natural wax re-crystallising and trying to return to its natural state.
Frosting is a sign that the candle is 100% natural soy wax. Some soy waxes have additives to help prevent frosting, however our candles use 100% natural soy wax, so some frosting is to be expected. Frosting does not affect the performance of your candle.
How do I prevent my candle from tunnelling?
Tunnelling is when the candle flame starts to drop below the top of the wax, leaving a dry, hard ring that doesn’t melt. Tunnelling is a frustrating waste of wax, so to prevent this from happening, try the steps below:
1. The first time you light your candle will dictate the way it burns for future uses.
2. Your wick needs to create a large and hot enough flame to reach the outer edge of the wax, so don’t trim it yet.
3. Let the candle burn for long enough to melt the entire top layer of wax. This takes about an hour per inch in diameter of the container. Don’t worry if the wax doesn’t melt all the way to the edge, but get it as close as you can. If you only light the candle in short bursts, a small puddle of wax will form and your candle will start tunnelling.
4. Once the candle has formed a melt pool all the way to the edge of its container, extinguish the candle and trim the wick if necessary.
5. After the first burn, try to let the candle burn for long stretches as often as you can to keep the wax pool wide, and prevent tunnelling later on.
If your candle has tunelled please follow this guide but understand it is a pain staking process so please ensure you follow the above steps.
Are your candles safe to burn around pets and babies?
All of our fragrances are safe, when used appropriately, for burning around babies and pets. However, if your baby or pet has a special health consideration you may want to check with your doctor and veterinarian before burning your candle. As mentioned above in the Health & Safety section, please ensure to keep your burning candles out of reach of children and pets who could accidentally knock a candle over and burn themselves and/ or cause a fire or try to eat the botanicals and/ or soy wax.
How can I become a stockist?
If you would like to stock our candles in your shop please contact us either by email at email@example.com or through our Instagram acount @ahimsasoycandles. All Bulk orders from us, Ahimsa Soy Candles, will be done through a reliable courier, therefore we use Hermes.
We would love to hear from you.
Do you cater for events?
We can also cater for events, weddeings, birthdays, or special occasions. Our hand poured, eco firendly candles make an atmosepheric edition, and gift for any event, as such we are partnered with https://vegan-weddings.co.uk/ if you wish to get in touch contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reply as soon as possible, and provide you with a quote. Alternatively head on over to https://vegan-weddings.co.uk/ and they will be happy to help you.
How do I place an order?
To make a purchase, select the products you would like to order and add them to your shopping cart. When you are ready to complete your order, simply click on the checkout button via your shopping cart. You can then follow our simple checkout process and make a safe, and secure online payment using your debit or credit card. Please make sure you provide your full address, including building name, house or flat number. We will not be held responsible, if we, Ahimsa Soy Candles, are not provided with your/the customer, full address, and as a result your package either cannot be posted, or is posted but arrives at the wrong address, or does not arrive. Once we have posted your parcel it is you/the custormer's responsiblity to make sure your package is recieved.
Once you have placed your order, you will receive an automated email confirming your purchase. If for any reason you do not receive a confirmation of your order, please email us at email@example.com, and we’ll get back to you promptly.
What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept payment with Visa, Mastercard, Paypal and American Express.
What is your shipping method?
The shipping method we use is Hermes courier. Shipping prices are applied according to there prices.
What is the Handling Fee?
We do not charge a handling fee at present. (This is subject to change)
Do you ship internationally?
At present we ship within the UK only.
How long does it take for my order to arrive?
Typically orders are delivered within 3 - 5 working days. In the case of large or wholesale orders, please bare in mind that our candles are made to order, so please allow up to 5-7 working days for delivery.
What is your returns policy?
Once you have received your candles, please inspect them carefully. If they appear damaged or not as described then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will either resend the products or issue a full refund. This does not affect your statutory rights.
We hope that you are happy with your new candles, but if you are in any way unhappy with them we will be happy to issue a full refund. Please return them to our address unused and in their original packaging, within 14 days of the date you received them. You will be refunded as soon as we have received them back. Unfortunately, once the candles have been used, we are unable to refund your payment unless the product is in some way faulty. If you would like to cancel your order, send us an email to email@example.com. Though please note that if your order has already been dispatched, you will have to pay the costs for the return.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.